Email marketing is directly marketing a commercial message to a group of people using email. In its broadest sense, every email sent to a potential or current customer could be considered email marketing. It usually involves using email to send ads, request business, or solicit sales or donations, and is meant to build loyalty, trust, or brand awareness. Email marketing can be done to either sold lists or a current customer database.
But even before you execute your email campaigns, it’s important to build a list which is accurate and could be properly segmented.
Why? List building is important because you can target a list of people who may be interested in your kind of offerings. once you have access to a contact list which fits your ‘ideal prospect’ profile and you can filter out using your criteria (segmentation), you are ready to promote your products or services with email marketing By giving more information about your business and by doing follow-ups, you can convert your target list to subscribers and subsequently to potential buyers.
Why should you build specific target lists and segment as different categories?
Your campaigns, whether you do through a sophisticated system like CRM or Marketing Automation, or simpler Email Marketing tools; your program is only ‘as good as the data’ you fed onto your tool. Moreover, profiling and segmenting your data into relevant categories is as important as the data itself. With highly targeted and profiled data, you can build very specific messaging and value proposition in your campaign.
- Build list according to your buyer’s persona: For e.g. let’s look into marketing department of a midsized (say $100mn-$1Bn) company. VP of Marketing (which will be a few) will likely to be an evangelist with overall marketing role. His/her challenges/pain areas are likely to be different from say, Director -Events and Conferences, Americas. So would you apply the same message and value proposition of your product/service to make them interested in you? Probably not.
- Segment to suit different campaign approach: An accurate and logically segmented database would allow you to customize your messaging and campaign plan. You could decide to put the VP Marketing into your ‘nurture’ program, in order to gradually build interest. On the other hand you may decide to send a specific message (say 20% discount in booth design and set-up) to the Director- Events, just before a big event.
Sounds a lot of work and segmenting /tracking to do! Yes it is. But the returns are also much sweeter, and worth your time and efforts.
The wide range of people saying that list building and email marketing have actually worked for them is enough to prove that using these two are really the most effective ways expand your business online. This means, the more strategies you employ on your email marketing campaigns, the more chances for success and profit.
“There are no magic wands, no hidden tricks and no secret handshakes that can bring you immediate success, but with right contacts and right approach you surely will be there.” – Darren Rowse
Latest posts by Rutika Salaskar (see all)
- Bad Data Out, Good Data In – Marketers Dream come true - September 29, 2016
- Use Case on Global Contact Discovery for Data Centers - September 26, 2016
- Now streamline your pipeline with ABM strategies - September 6, 2016